How I Process My Infrared Images. Post Number 14,

this is not a right or wrong way to process them,


but this is the way I treat mine, it may not achieve the result you want, but this is how I started and I am learning from here,

I will start with an image straight out of the camera, before starting to change anything download two programs into Photoshop,  


firstly download the NIK Collection, available here,

as shown above, in its drop down box,


and also download the faux colour swap,
as above, both will attach themselves automatically in Photoshop, I have minimised the NIK Collection and clicked on to the actions button/arrow, the colour swap I have imported 4 times to make it easier to see, it comes up as InfraRed Adjustments, the window can be closed when not needed,

this is the image I chose, the image is number by the camera, P1010180, which I open in Phototshop CC 15, so now I will go step by step, 

open NIK Selective Tool in its drop down box and chose Define 2, click it and wait for it to work,


and you will see this, if needed click OK, this will reduce noise,


when it has finished working click Save, I put De (for Define) after the number as a reference, making the picture number P1010180De



You will then be asked what options you want to save the picture,


 next click Viveza 2 in the NIK Selective Tool menu, here is now where you have to decided what do in the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Structure slides, at this point do not worry about colour, when happy with the image press OK, let the program work then press Save, to keep things easy I keep the same picture number P1010180De but add Viv (Viveza) to it, making the number P1010180DeViv, that way if I want to return to this stage I know I have already performed those two operations,



 minimise the NIK selection tools box and open the colour swap menu in actions, click InfraRed adjustments,


and like magic this appears, now the fun start, click the Master box,

chose whatever colours you feel need adjusting and slide away, remember you are adjusting the whole picture, when happy with the result click OK then close the slide box,

open Viveza 2 again, click Add Control Point,

then move the control point to where you want it to be, I start with the sky,


and by using the slide open out the area I want to effect, next adjust other parameters using the slides, you will only be adjusting what is in the circle or part of it, the area nearest the control point being strongest the effect weakening as the distance increase from the control point,

for my next control point I started on the tops of the trees on the right hand side,


 and here I am using the next Control Point to highlight just one tree, basically just continue playing with control points until you are happy with the picture,


these are the control points I used on this picture, I have deliberately used fewer than I normally do, you can in fact change the look of individual leaves if you have the time! only a few things left to do,

run Define 2, when it has finished working,


click Layer in the top menu bar and at near the bottom of the list click Flatten Image, save the image, again I use the picture number but add FINN so I know the image is finished, P1010180FINN, keep the image open if you like black and white images, open the NIK Selective Tool box and scroll down and open Silver Efex Pro 2, let it work and you will see this


Your image displayed, on the left hand side there is a box that has 30 or so presets, scroll down, and chose one you like,

click OK and save your image, as I chose this one, I called it the preset number or Ant for antique, P1010180Ant, is this the correct way to process infrared pictures? I really do not know, but I am pleased in the main part with the images I have, the main thing to do is experiment at every step and remember I have only just scratched at the surface of what is possible,

so we have gone from this,

to this, 

not to everyone's taste, but I like it, just one other small thing, to make the images smaller for use on the web page I use Obviousidea Light Image Resizer, it works every time and have used it for years, it can resize one or hundreds of images at one go, the camera I use is a Lumix DMC GX8 with 12-60mm lens, I had the camera converted to take infrared pictures at Protech Photographic in Uckfield, Sussex, UK. who were more than very helpful, and no I am not on commission, I will add pictures that I have taken in and around Pattaya, Thailand, every few days, please feel free to comment or if you have any questions please ask away, but I am not an expert, just someone that has discovered the fascination of infrared photography.


Comments

Popular Posts